Getting away from everyday hustle and bustle is always a welcomed idea. Travelling out in the country and marveling at the beauty of nature is just the thing to decompress and revitalize our souls.
However, all the expenses and planning might get to most of us, making us quite reluctant in undertaking the much-anticipated getaway.
If there is anything a camper or a traveler will value, is convenience and comfort.
This is where the truck bed tent comes in to save the day by incorporating your truck’s bed into your own personal space with less planning and reduced expenditure on accommodation.
These incredible alternatives have become very popular and believe me, you will be spoiled for choice.
But no need to worry if you find yourself stuck, in our best truck bed tent reviews below, you will find everything you need to know about truck bed tents as well as details on our top 3 choices.
- FITS NEARLY ANY 6.5’ BED TRUCK – This Granville II truck tent fits nearly any short-bed pickup truck with a 6.5’ box and comfortably sleeps 2 adults. Easy to setup with color coded poles, elasticized straps, scratch-free clips, and more.
- FRONT AWNING INCLUDED - Includes front awning to keep you dry and cool when entering and exiting the tent.
- THREE PRIVACY WINDOWS WITH MESH WINDOWS– Every window can be zipped up for ultimate privacy even without the rainfly on. Each window also features mesh windows.
- FASTER SETUP - Our automatic pole structure sets up QUICK and EASY, so you have more time to relax and enjoy nature. Take down is just as simple and let's you break camp in RECORD TIME. No loose poles to wrestle.
- BETTER VIEWS - Massive full height windows give you a PANORAMIC 360 degree view and 180 degree CELESTIAL SKY VIEW. You'll have the best view of nature you can get from a truck tent. Or zip the window flaps closed for privacy.
- MORE SPACE - Cavernous interior with 6 FOOT STANDING HEIGHT gives you room to stretch and it makes changing a breeze. Comfortably sleeps 2 ADULTS. Plus there's a full sewn in floor to keep you dry and clean.
- This roomy tent sleeps 2 people with over 5.6 feet of headroom and is the only truck tent on the market with a sewn in floor
- Large rear access panel allows you to access the truck's cab for additional storage while the large entrance door, 2 mesh windows and side vents allow for great ventialtion
- No need for guide ropes. The 4' x 4' shade awning secures to the tailgate allowing it to be set-up anywhere
- Full head room
- Full rain fly
- Color coded poles
- Roomy tent sleeps 2 people with over 5.5 feet of headroom and features a sewn in floor
- Color-coded, shock-corded fiber glass poles for a fast and easy set up
- 1 large entrance door and 1 rear access door lets you enter the truck's cab through the tent
- 2 large windows offer optimal ventilation
- Large interior area with ample headroom
- Full rainfly provides ultimate weather protection, along with additional storm flaps covering the windows and doors
Last update on 2021-10-20 at 02:37 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API / PST Details
3 Best Truck Bed Tents Reviews
1. BACKROADZ SUV TENT
The Backroadz SUV tent is a top-rated product offered by the Napier enterprises. It is designed with a polyethylene sewn-in floor to keep you separated from your truck’s cold metal bed, increasing your comfort.
You get to enjoy proper ventilation with 4 large polyester mesh windows, 1 door with a storm flap for your privacy and a full rain fly for those rainy days.
The interior of the tent is spacious with a 5’5” height, enough to comfortably accommodate 2 people.
This tent is equipped with 4 shock-corded fiberglass poles for longevity and provision of effortless installation. It also comes with a carry bag for storage and ease of transport.
If dissatisfied with this SUV tent, the manufacturer offers a 1yr limited warranty.
In conclusion, the Backloadz SUV tent is an incredibly roomy tent, quite easy to set-up and is fairly priced, making it popular with most campers.
- It comes with a full rainfly for ultimate weather protection.
- It has 4 large windows for proper ventilation.
- Has a large interior with a 5’5” height with ample headroom.
- It is fast and easy to install
- Has carrying bag for transport and storage
- The tent poles are of lesser quality
- Zippers on the tent tend to either break or get stuck
2. Rightline Gear 110730 Full-Size Standard Truck Bed Tent
The Rightline Gear 110730 Full-Size Standard Truck Bed Tent, though smaller in size, still is spacious enough to accommodate 2 adults. It's floorless, meaning you can pitch it right over your truck bed, without having to move any of your gear or equipment.
The fabric used in the tent’s construction is water resistant with an addition of tape sealed seams to completely lock out water, keeping you dry always.
To protect your car from accidental scratches and chipping of paint, the tent comes with nylon buckles as well as sturdy protective heavy duty tension straps that are anchored onto the vehicle.
In addition to this, the poles are color coded with pole pockets making it fairly simple to put it up as well as pull it down.
This truck tent completely covers the tailgate allowing maximum utilization of the much-needed space in your truck bed.
Some other incredible features in the Rightline truck tent are, 2 gear pockets, a hook for hanging the lantern, zipper pulls that glow in the dark, and a sky view vent.
Rightline Gear offers a 1yr since the date of purchase, warranty against defects and workmanship.
Bottom line, we really like what the Rightline truck tent has to offer. It features many designs that add value to the camping experience, such as how the tent is thoughtfully designed to go around the outside of the bed, making it impossible for water to run into the inside of the bed.
- Its floorless design allows the tents easy set-up.
- The color-coded poles allow quick and easy set-up
- Protective straps and nylon buckles protect the car’s paint from chipping.
- It comes with well listed sewn-in instructions.
- Has a strong water-proof fabric with a rainfly for light showers.
- Its clips break easily.
- Not strong enough in very windy conditions.
3. Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent
The Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent is one of the best in its category. It is made of a hydra-shield, cotton duck canvas fabric, which means you will keep dry even in a heavy downpour.
With this fabric, there is minimal condensation and mugginess owing to its incredible breathability, unlike the oil or paraffin treated canvas.
It comes in an impressive tunnel-shaped design that maximizes the interior space, in combination with 5 windows that provide plenty of ventilation. One of which gives you access to the vehicle’s cabin.
You will be amazed by the tent’s versatility as it can accommodate up to 6 different vehicle models.
Also, for easy set-up of the tent, the 3/4-inch tube frame made of steel easily connects to the clamp-on rails and effortlessly mounts on the truck bed for a secure fit. However, you may encounter difficulties while setting up on your own, but once mastered it will be a walk in the park.
For complete peace of mind, Kodiak Canvas offers a lifetime limited warranty for this truck bed tent
Overall, we love this truck tent mainly because of its superior construction materials that make it more durable than most other truck tents, as well as its unique designs made to enhance our comfort.
- The tent is made from a superior fabric of hydra-shield, cotton canvas.
- It maximizes space with its convenient tailgate design.
- Has 5 windows that offer excellent ventilation and easy cab access.
- Offers plenty of space with a tunnel-shaped design and a 5ft high ceiling.
- It has sturdy and strong steel tubes for sufficient stability.
- It comes with gear pockets and carrying bag for ample storage.
- Difficult in setting up.
- Heavier than many other bed truck tents.
Having looked at the 3 truck bed tents above, the Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent was our best pick. It is made from superior material specifically chosen for its durability and ruggedness, all while providing you with great ventilation as well as keeping you dry.
Other impressive features are the very sturdy, high-quality poles, amazing tailgate, and tunnel-shaped design that give you maximum space and height.
You will notice, however, that this tent is slightly expensive than the 2 others we’ve listed, but you will appreciate the quality and longevity it has to offer. We feel it’s definitely of good value for your money.
Benefits of a Truck Bed Tent
A truck bed tent saves you money that you would otherwise pay at campsites or hotels while pooling all your camping needs in one place.
Besides that, you can easily have a spontaneous trip without having to rush to get a spot at a camping site, this is because the truck bed tent gives you the freedom to camp just about anywhere provided it is legal and safe for you.
Advantages and disadvantages of Truck Bed Tents
As the saying goes “Perfection is a myth”, the same goes for these wonderful alternative shelters. Let us look at their benefits and their setbacks below.
How do I choose the best truck bed tent?
Below are some of the basic considerations while choosing a bed tent for your truck.
The first crucial thing to consider when buying a tent for your truck is the dimensions of the truck itself. This will influence the model of the tent to buy, in other words, the tent should be compatible with your truck.
There are tents explicitly designed to fit on small SUVs or other vehicles with ample cargo space, while others are made for heftier models of SUVs and minivans.
If you don’t get one that matches your truck’s size, or frequently change your traveling vehicle, you may need to look into a universal truck bed tent.
However, as versatile and efficient as the universal truck bed tents are, it is worth mentioning, they come at a higher price than the other kinds. So you might need to have a favorable budget to accommodate that.
Floor: First, you need to choose the floor design that best suits you. Tents come with either a sewn-in floor or without. A floorless tent will be ideal when you have gear in the truck bed and don’t want to keep moving it when installing and uninstalling.
Mesh panels: Ventilation is paramount especially if you will be camping in hot or extremely warm areas. You should consider looking for truck tents fitted with at least 2 or more mesh panels for sufficient air circulation.
Rainfly: Truck tents should come with good rain-flies to provide full coverage in rainy conditions, keeping the interior dry and warm.
Truck bed liner: It will be of advantage to find a tent that incorporates a good bed liner to protect you from the truck’s cold metal and one that absorbs shock from the ground.
Height and length: The height and length vary from tent to tent. Average beds will fit 2-3 people.
For taller people, the dome-shaped tents are ideal for providing ample headroom. However, when it comes to larger families of, for instance, 5 to 6 people, an extra attachment to the vehicle may be best.
Tent poles: Tent poles are important for stability and support. Materials predominantly used to make these poles are aluminum and fiberglass owing to their durability and lightweight.
The aluminum ones are most effective for windy conditions. Also, for easy setup of truck bed tents, it is recommended to go with color-coded ones with pockets.
It’s crucial to consider the material used in the construction of the truck tent, this will significantly influence its durability.
You should look for materials that are highly water resistant to avoid unpleasant surprise leaks when it rains.
Make sure to also get one that is sturdy enough to withstand adverse weather conditions. Most strong materials used are premium grade nylon and polyester.
When shopping for your truck bed tent, you should look out for one that will be most compatible with the weather in which you’ll be using it in.
Nonetheless, these tents are made in different weather-related categories.
Summer truck tent
Also known as one- season tent, it is light in weight and has great ventilation for hot summer days and nights.
These kinds of tents mostly come with only 2 support poles and therefore cannot work in extreme weathers.
Three season truck tents
The three season truck bed tents are the most popular truck tents. They are lightweight and are ideal for spring, summer, and fall seasons.
They come with mesh panels for efficient airflow and some come with a rainfly for days with light showers.
Four season truck tents
As the name suggests, the tents do well year round. They are sturdily made and durable to handle extreme weather conditions.
They, however, tend to be a little bit warm during summer as they are lowly ventilated.
When it comes to any kind of equipment, no one wants to spend hours in setting up.
It is therefore important to consider how quick and easy your truck tent will be to install, as you will need to it multiple times in your trip.
Most truck bed tents, however, come with an easy set-up system and with practice the process will eventually become easier.
When choosing your truck bed tent, remember that low priced products are not always the best.
Evaluate if the quality of the product you choose matches its given price, keeping your budget in mind.
A truck bed tent is a great choice for any camping enthusiast who loves moving from one place to another without restrictions.
It will provide you with security for both you and your gear as well as great comfort in your mobile camping.
In conclusion, choosing a tent for your truck shouldn’t be daunting or confusing anymore as we certainly hope that our best truck bed tents reviews will help you figure out exactly what best suits your needs.