In most cases, the main reason for packing up and going camping is to decompress and have some quiet time. We want to have a wonderful time reconnecting with nature, and in most cases, it will be off the grid.
Having said that, however, every aspect of our lives is somewhat affected by electronics. This is why an efficient and clean way of getting power to remote locations has become every camper’s key priority. Recent years’ innovations have made this possible by introducing solar panels.
Solar panels are now affordable, easy to transport and most important use renewable energy as opposed to using fuel.
While solar panels are a great option to go camping with, selecting the right one will need more consideration before purchasing. You will find a wide range of these devices on the market and might be quite a daunting task trying to tell them apart.
We will give you some guidelines and look at some of our best solar panels in the best solar panels for camping review below.
- 1. [Premium Solar Panel]:Himino Solar panel is designed for most portable generator power stations on market, compatible with SUAOKI, Enkeeo, Goal Zero, Webetop, Paxcess, ROCKPALS, Jackery, Flashfish etc., also suitable for mobile phone, power bank, tablet and laptop.
- 2. [High Conversion Efficiency]: The conversion rate of solar power into electricity is up to 23.8% when the sunlight intensity is strong enough, which is much higher than common solar panel charger. It can also be up to 15% even on a cloudy afternoon. Himino solar panel can provide enough power to charge two devices simultaneously.
- 3. [Fast & Smart Charging Technology]: Equipped with the premium fast charging Type-C charging port, specifically designed for iPhone 12, Macbook and other direct and fast charging. An intelligent chip (TIR-C technology) inside the unit can smartly identifies your device, maximizes its charging speed while protects your devices from over charging and overloading, keeps your devices safe.
- 【Multi-purpose Usage】：This foldable solar panel is designed for the most portable generator power station on the market, compatible with Baldr, Jackery, Goal Zero, Paxcess. If you have your own adapter, it can also be used with NexPow, ROCKPALS, SUAOKI, FlashFish. Also for mobile phones, power banks, tablets, laptops, GPS, digital cameras, etc. Ideally suited for outdoor life and even unexpected power outages.
- 【High Conversion Efficiency】：60 watt monocrystalline solar panel high conversion efficiency up to 23% which is much higher than common solar panel charger. It performs better than similarly rated polycrystalline solar panels at low-light conditions. Much higher than the market average level.
- 【USB Smart Charging Technology】：Dual USB Ports QC3.0 & USB-C (15V 3A max), Made for smartphones and tablets, GPS, cameras, etc. The USB built-in smart IC chip intelligently identifies your device, and maximizes its charging speed while protects your devices from overcharging and overloading. And 18V DC output keeps your DC devices full of juice, without having to rely on a wall outlet or a power bank, and brings you an unplugged lifestyle.
- ☀️ THE SUN WILL NEVER LET YOU DOWN: Now you can charge all your gadgets and electronic devices on-the-go even if you are in the middle of nowhere with the AIMTOM premium 80W solar panel, which will make your outdoor adventures safer and easier.
- 🔋 GET UP TO 60% MORE POWER FOR LESS: Our camping solar panel has the best efficiency rate in the market, which means it will re-charge your devices more efficiently than ever. No need to settle for low-quality solar panels anymore.
- ⚡ HANDMADE USING THE BEST SOLAR CELLS: The AIMTOM solar power panel features USA-made SUNPOWER solar cells, which are not only the most reliable in the market but will also last longer and offer you better performance than other solar panels.
- Updated Charging Technology-the solar panel charger generates 120W output with up to 25% high conversion efficiency, providing enough power to charge two devices simultaneously; 5V USB and 18V DC dual output keep your USB/DC devices full of juice. Built-in smart IC for the USB port, maximizes its charging speed while protects your devices from over charging and overloading
- High Compatibility - Compatible with most solar generator/portable power station on the market. Includes different size of connectors.and 5V USB devices, including smartphones and tablets(iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy), GPS, digital cameras, etc. Ideally suited for outdoor life and even unexpected power outages.
- High Conversion Efficiency - Constructed of high-efficiency solar arrays,convert up to 20-25% of solar power into free energy.
- ✔【Advanced Charging Technology】This new model solar panel charger generates 120W output with up to 20% high conversion efficiency under 4.0W Lux, providing enough power to charge two devices simultaneously; 5V USB and 18V DC dual output keep your USB/DC devices full of juice, without having to rely on a wall outlet, or a power bank, and brings you an unplugged lifestyle.
- ✔【Design for Solar Genrators】Our Solar Panel Compatible with most battery pack, Work well with Suaoki/Enkeeo/Goal Zero Yeti/Webetop/Paxcess/ROCKPALS Power Source. Suit for Smartphones and Tablets, GPS, digital cameras, etc. Ideally suited for outdoor life and even unexpected power outages.
- ✔【Easy to Carry 】 Fordable & Portable Solar Panel when folded, the solar power charger looks like a briefcase (16.3x14.4x0.9 inches) easy for carry; when unfolded (56.1x16.3inch), it can hang on your RV, tent, or just spread out on the beach to gives you instant charge from sunlight.
- MADE FOR SOLAR GENERATORS - Compatible with most solar generator on the market ( but not for Jackery 440 ). With our included different size of connectors(8mm DC Adapter for Jackery, 5.5*2.1mm for ROCKPALS 250/300/350/500w), and 5V USB devices, including smartphones and tablets(iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy), GPS, digital cameras, etc
- 3-USB SMART CHARGING TECHNOLOGY - The build-in smart IC chip intelligently identifies your device, and maximizes its charging speed while protects your devices from over charging and overloading. The charging current of USB ports (up to 2.4A max 5V DC per port, 6A max overall) is monitored and automatically adjusted according to the sunlight level.
- HIGH CONVERSION EFFICIENCY - Constructed of high-efficiency solar arrays,convert up to 21.5-23.5% of solar power into free energy.
- UPGRADED VERSION FOR SOLAR GENERATOR: Rockpower solar panel 100w can be compatible with the most solar generators on the market (Anderson connector for Jackery Explorer 1000, 5.5*2.1mm DC for ROCKPALS 250W/300W/350W/500W power station, 8mm DC for Jackery Explorer. With a parallel cable just can connect 2 same RP082 100w solar panels to produce more power
- HIGH CONVERSION EFFICIENCY: Rockpower solar panel foldable has high conversion efficiency up to 23.5%, generate more energy and perform better than conventional panels in strong sunlight. Ideally suited for outdoor life and camping
- 4 TIMES FASTER CHARGING: Rockpower 100 watt solar panel is equipped with 1* USB QC 3.0 and 1*USB C Output (5V/9V/12V, 3.4A max), provides 4 times faster charging speed for your smartphones, tablets, DV, etc
- Output power: 120W folding solar panels generate 0.5KWh per day (depend on the availability of sunlight), which can fully charge a 30ah lithium battery under 3 hours of sunlight.
- Portable power station: 120w 12v folding solar panels are perfectly matched with 30ah (360wh) lithium batteries. The batteries can be easily charged through high-efficiency solar panels, which is safe and green, provide sufficient power for your every trip.
- 20A solar controller: dual USB output, each port maximum 5V / 2A, can charge mobile phones. And has short circuit protection, open circuit protection, reverse connection protection, overload protection. Fully protect battery life.
- ✅【HIGH CONVERSION EFFICIENCY】Constructed form high-efficiency monocrystalline solar cells, with efficiencies of up to 23%, convert more solar power into usable energy, which enables higher power generation even if the panel size is not larger than ordinary solar panels.
- ✅【HIGH COMPATIBILITY】Includes a variety of connectors, compatible with most portable solar generators, ①DC5521-to-C4 cable, ②DC5521-to- anderson cable, ③DC5521 cable and 10 DC connectors, 8mm adapter for Jackery Explorer 160/240/300/500/1000 power station/Goal Zero Yeti 150/400 and BALDR 330W power station, 5.5*2.1mm adapter for Rockpals 250W/350W/500W power station/PRYMAX 300W/FlashFish 200W portable generator etc.
- ✅【UPGRADE 4-PORT SMART CHARGING TECHNOLOGY】Equipped with 1*DC port(18V/6.6A max), 1*USB port(5V/2.1A), 1*USB QC3.0 port(5V⎓3A/9V⎓2.5A/12V⎓2A 24W max), 1* USB-C PD port(5V⎓3A 9V⎓3A/12V⎓3A/15V⎓3A/20V⎓3A, 60W max), the built-in smart IC chip can intelligently identifys your device and automatically adjusts the optimal current, charging compatible devices is 4 times faster than ordinary solar chargers, suitable for smartphones, tablets, power banks, digital cameras and more.
- 【4 PORT OUTPUT FOR SIMULTANEOUS CHARGING】: TISHI HERY 120W solar panel is made for simultaneous charging with its 4 port smart charging technology. Equipped with 1*DC, 1*USB, 1*QC3.0 , 1*TYPE-C port, can charge your electronics products and most portable power station on the market(not for Jackery440). 18V/6.7A total output allows simultaneous charging without any issue.
- 【HIGH PURITY MONOCRYSTALLINE ACHIEVES HIGH EFFICIENCY】:TISHI HERY developed advanced high-purity monocrystalline solar cells which achieves 23% high efficiency, can generate more energy and perform better than conventional panels . With TISHI HERY solar panel’s high efficiency, your devices will be charged in no time.
- 【HIGH DURABILITY・WATER-PROOF】: High-grade materials for rugged durability. TISHI HERY solar panel foldable is ideal for outdoor use. It is designed to withstand outside weather conditions to provide you with long-lasting service.
- 🔝 MADE FOR SOLAR GENERATORS - Compatible with most solar generator on the market. With our included different size of connectors(8mm DC Adapter for Goal Zero, 5.5 * 2.5mm DC Adapter for Suaoki portable Generator and 3.5 * 1.35mm DC Adapter for Paxcess portable Power Generator), and 5V USB devices, including smartphones and tablets, GPS, digital cameras, etc.
- 🔝 HIGH CONVERSION EFFICIENCY - Adopting solar panels imported from the United States, convert up to 25% of solar power into free energy, conversion efficiency is 60% higher than ordinary crystalline silicon solar panels.
- 🔝 3USB ADVANCED INTELLIGENT TECHNOLOGY - Built-in smart IC chip, intelligent circuit, matching output stable current, can't damage the charging device. 1*QC3.0, reducing charging time and giving you faster power.
- 🔆【Designed for Solar Generators】: Compatible with most solar generators. It comes with MC4 and 8mm DC adapter cable for Jackery/Goal Zero/Paxcess/Baldr power station. The USB interface can also be used for phones and tablets (iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy), GPS, digital camera, etc.
- 🔆【2-USB Smart Charging】: Built-in smart IC chip, intelligently identify your device and maximize the charging speed. Monitor the charging current (15V 3A) of the 2*USB and the 18V DC at any time, will adjust according to the sunlight level automatically .
- 🔆【High Conversion Efficiency】: It is monocrystalline solar panels with adjustable bracket, which can convert up to 23.5% of solar energy into free energy for power generation. It can also establish a solar generation system with Baldr330/500 to store power for backup.
- 【Designed For Most Portable Power Station】The 19V DC port is specially designed for charging portable power stations and equipped with cables and connectors of different specifications
- 【USB Smart and Fast Charging Technology】 Dual USB Ports QC3.0 & 2.0 (5V/9V/12V 2A max), and the USB-C port support PD3.0.Designed for smartphones and tablets (compatible with iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy), GPS, digital cameras etc. Perfect for outdoor life and even unexpected power outages. The build-in smart IC chip intelligently identifies your device, and maximizes its charging speed while protects your devices from over charging and overloading.
- 【Foldable&Portable】After being folded, the size is only 9.84*7.87*2.36 inch. You could easily pack it into backpack or trunk to explore the world. At the same time, the panel is equipped with adjustable brackets.You could adjust the angle of the solar panel at will to obtain a higher output power.
- 120W Solar Charger with MPPT Technology: The junction box with the MPPT technology, charging faster and charging smarter. Note: we suggest you to charge the power station whose input is more than 5A, or the input current will be limited. BigBlue MPPT controller are far more advanced than PWM controllers and utilizes Maximum Power Point Tracking technology to extract maximum power from the solar module(s) and can improve conversion efficiency up to 30% and shorten the charging time.
- Fast Charge and 60W Type-C: BigBlue folded solar charger equipped with 1*USB port, 1*QC3.0 fast charging USB port (18W max), 1*DC port and 1*60W Type-C Power Delivery. Ideal for emergency back-up battery or remote power use for power station, some laptops, smartphones, ipad, tablets and other USB-charged devices when electricity is unavailable or emergency. Note: This solar phone charger can’t stock the electricity, we suggest you to order BigBlue power station together for a convenient use.
- Smart Charging & High Conversion: BigBlue camping solar charger highlights a smart chip technology to ensure a safe flow of energy through the USB ports and compensate voltage loss. It also provides the overcharging, overheating and short circuit protection during charging. It equips high-efficiency solar arrays that could offer a conversion of up to 22%, save money on electricity bills and protect environment.
- HIGH EFFICIENT:Constructed with 40 watts sunpower panel,the power conversion rate increases up to 23.5%,providing enough power to charge 2 devices simultaneously
- MOST COMPATIBLE:5V USB and 18V DC(Working Voltage) dual output are compatible for most electronic devices,like Laptop(Only For Adaptor Marked ">=19V" Input))/Power Generator/Power StationTablet/12V Battery(Matched With A PWM or MPPT Controller) & Tablet/Phone/3.7V Battery.The charger can automatically identify the current of your equipment and speed up the charge process
- AUTOMATIC RESTART:Sometimes the charging is interrupted by the sudden shade,cloud or forest, this Solar Charger will automatically restart charging when the sunlight is strong enough
Last update on 2021-07-08 at 10:35 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API / PST Details
1. Suaoki Portable SunPower Solar Panel
The Suaoki 18W is a portable solar power system compact enough to fit right into your backpack. It has a quality build. The panel array is made from industrial grade PET plastic as well as the weather resistant heavy-duty polyester canvas, great for hiking and outdoor activities.
It is made of high-quality SunPower solar panel with a great solar cell efficiency of about 22.5%. With the 18V output and 18W energy, you can effectively charge your car, motorcycle or even boats.
Another amazing feature of this unit is that it comes with a built-in blocking diode especially made to prevent backward discharging from your batteries through your solar panels at night when the charger’s voltage is low.
However, the manufacturer advice unplugging the charger during this time, in case the blocking diode does not avert all the reverse discharge.
The Suaoki 18V comes with a USB port, allowing you to charge your cell phone or other devices. However, this is not the most convenient option and may want to buy separate adapters in case you want to charge multiple devices.
A good thing though and probably an advantage over other kits is that it offers a second non-USB output port of 18V to power higher voltage appliances such as vent fans.
This kit does not come with an automatic switch that stops the device from powering, so you should keep an eye on your battery or electronics until they are fully charged.
At 18 watts, this portable solar power system will charge small devices such as cellphones quickly if it is in direct sunlight, almost as fast as charging from a wall socket.
There is also an 18-month warranty on this device, in case it has faults or you are dissatisfied with it in any way.
In conclusion, the Suaoki 18V is an affordable solar charger that provides nearly unlimited power on a long hike.
The included accessories are supported by most electronic devices, although it is probably best to charge the battery instead of charging your devices directly. This is because of the fluctuations from the energy given by the sun.
The kit is also light in weight and has a compact design making it truly portable. This is a great accessory to carry on your camping trips.
2. SunJack 5W Solar Charger Power Bank External Battery
The SunJack 5W Solar Charger is a compact, durable and weather resistant solar panel charging system, built to handle tough outdoors. Its lightweight also makes it extremely handy for traveling and backpacking. The slim make lets you easily slip it in your pocket or emergency kit.
It comes with a 10000mAh power bank, which in direct sunlight can fully charge its internal battery pack within 5 hours. The solar panel can also power and charge almost all your portable USB electronics directly and within no time.
The SunJack 5 Watt product also comes with four solar panels, two USB outputs, and one input jack so you can simultaneously charge two appliances at once while recharging the battery.
This is very convenient when camping. The power bank has the capability of powering 5V devices and is compatible with most mobile phones, tablets, MP3 players, USB lights, digital cameras, and Kindles.
Using a micro-USB connection, you can link up two panels together to increase your charging capabilities.
The SunJack battery pack is not intuitive and must be turned on when you hook it up to recharge your devices. Additionally, the charger also has a small LED light built-in, with flash and strobe modes so you can use it as a flashlight during the night.
Ultimately, this SunJack charger feels like a solid choice for anyone who wants a small and affordable solar charger that does not compromise on quality. You will find this unit a good solution to powering your USB gadgets while outdoors.
3. SOKOO 22W 2-Port USB Portable Solar Charger
The SOKOO 5V is a foldable, highly portable and waterproof solar panel charger.
This solar charger has very good build quality since it has a PCB cushion added in between the PET panels and a fabric that adds great rigidity. The said fabric is made of PVC and is water resistant while the ports can withstand water as well.
It is recommended, however, to minimize exposing it to constant moister to protect the electoral components.
The Solar panels themselves are made of monocrystalline solar cells that offer better conversion of energy, with a laminated layer of PET to provide protection from elements.
Sooko solar charger uses 3 Solar panels with a conversion power of 21% to 23.5%. The charger has the capability of Outputting 22Watts of power and each of the two USB ports has a charging speed of 5V/2.4A and a max output of 3.3A.
This solar charger can power all USB gadgets, including, iPhone, Android devices, iPads, GPS, digital camera and many more.
When the two ports are simultaneously being used to charge, then each port is going to give a charging speed of 5V/1.65A.
There is a built-in smart IC chip, which intelligently identifies your device and maximizes its charging speed. This protects your devices from overcharging or even overloading. The chip monitors the USB ports’ charging current and automatically adjusts according to the level of sunlight.
Note that this solar charger does not come with a built-in battery, however, If the panels are getting full sun exposure, you can easily recharge a power bank with this solar charger. This way, you conveniently store the power that Solar panels collect into a portable charger for later use.
Included with this solar charger are a user manual, 2 attachment hooks as well as a 24-month warranty.
That said, the Sokoo 22W performance is better than most other similar foldable chargers. You will also notice that the devices overheat from sitting in direct sunlight. However, to remedy that, consider keeping your devices in the shade while the charger sits in the sun.
Other than that, this solar charger is more than capable of charging any 2 standard USB devices you want to. Its build quality also offers versatility and strength.
4. Anker 21W PowerPort Solar Charger
Anker PowerPort solar charger is an excellent portable solar charger a perfect solution for your camping and emergency power needs.
The charger is incredibly lightweight for its capabilities. It is also portable coming in a length of 11.1 inches, a width of 6.3 inches when folded and 26.4 x 11.1 x 0.2 inches when opened. It has a thickness of 1.1 inches and weighs at 14.7 ounces, so it will not add too much weight to your pack.
The Anker 21W has Industrial-strength PET polymer faced solar cells covered by heavy-duty polyester canvas. This construction offers weather-resistance to the Anker panels, making them durable, robust and easy to clean.
There are handy stainless steel eyelets on every corner of the charger to tie it in such a way it covers the whole back of a backpack. This allows the charger to get a great amount of sun exposure while hiking.
The Anker PowerPort is made up of three polymer-faced solar panels, which deliver 21 Watts, however, this will vary depending on the sunlight. There are 2 USB charging ports which uses Anker's exclusive PowerIQ technology, to match your device's charging speed of up to 2.4 amps on each port and 3Amps being the max output.
This means charging two smartphones with solar panels sitting directly to the sun is going to give a fast charging speed. You can also charge tablets with max charging speeds of 2.4 Amps and 1.5 Amps if charging two of them simultaneously.
Finally, for its price, the PowerPort does exactly what it says if not more. It has a quality build and the panels offer great flexibility.
This solar charger offers two USB ports and, on a sunny day, it can deliver enough power to charge two devices simultaneously. It features PowerIQ technology that optimizes charging speeds and ensures device safety. We would say this portable solar charger is a solid choice.
5. The RAVPower 24W Solar Charger
The RAVPower 24W Solar Charger is quite a small solar charger that is extremely portable and highly efficient.
It is lightweight and weighs at 748g. With measurements of 84 cm when unfolded and 30cm x 16.5cm, It will not take up too much space when folded and can easily fit into a backpack.
The solar charger features four carabineers to attach to your backpack or tent. There is also pouch to accommodate the devices you will be recharging or an external battery. However, the devices in the pouch tend to get hot in direct sunlight, so it is better to charge them from the shade as the device sits in the sun.
RAVPower 24W does not come with a built-in battery, so you have to plug in your devices directly through its three USB ports for charging. To use this charger effectively, you need direct sunlight as it will not charge in diffused sunlight.
When opened, the RAVPower 24W has four panels. Combined, the panels offer a 24W and 4.8A output giving excellent performance and fast charging. This is enough to recharge most of your devices via the three available USB ports.
It can charge tablets, Android smartphones, iPhones and any other USB powered devices. In addition, the panels have great efficiency with a max conversion rate of 23.5%.
Despite lacking an internal battery for power storage, this solar charger can charge an external battery that you buy separately as the RAVPower 26800mAh. With strong sunlight, it takes about 10 hours to recharge this battery backup. It will allow you to charge your devices when there is not enough sunlight, or during the night.
Bottom line, the RAVPower 24 W Triple USB Ports Charger perfectly combines portability with power efficiency. It is probably one of the best portable solar chargers, perfect for camping enthusiasts or people going off the grid.
The solar charger has a high charging speed and with ample sunlight, it will keep your devices juiced up. It is a decent device for its price.
6. BigBlue 28W Portable Solar Charger
The BigBlue 28W portable solar charger is well made and with a durable design.
This charger uses four separate mono-crystalline solar panels that produce a total of 28W. These panels are highly efficient with a max conversion rate of 23.5%.
It generates a lot of energy enough to power devices such as iPads, smartphones, and other USB powered devices. However, it will not charge a laptop.
An amazing feature that comes with the BigBlue 28W is the built-in ammeter and chip. This digital ammeter gives the user a glance of the f Amps readings, while the internal chip ensures a stable charge.
This is a very beneficial feature especially if you need to note and keep track of your charging. Note that the ammeter only displays the ampere output when there is a device connected to the USB port.
The BigBlue 28W conveniently folds up and is well secured with a Velcro seal. When unfolded, there is a pouch where you will find the ammeter and two USB ports. In addition, you will get to enjoy a zipped pouch where you can put your phone when charging.
This solar charger weighs about 1.06 pounds and comes with a height of 11.1inches, a width of 6.3 inches and a thickness of 1.3 inches. This makes it very portable when folded up.
The BigBlue is one of the most durable foldable solar panels. It is built with a special Polymeric fabric that makes the panels waterproof.
This means that small splashes and rain will not harm this solar charger. In addition, the two USB ports have rubber grommets that help protect them from water ingress.
Overall, the BigBlue 28W is a well-made foldable solar power battery charger that packs a ton of features that other panels do not have.
It has the adequate amperage to charge a couple of devices at a fast speed and features an ammeter for accurate output readings.
All these features make it a great option for outdoor activities such as camping.
7. Paxcess Foldable 50W Solar Panel Charger for Suaoki Portable Generator
The Paxcess Foldable 50W Solar Panel Charger for Suaoki Portable Generator is an efficient backup power source.
It is designed to be compatible with most of the solar generators in the market today. There are different sizes of connectors included.
An 8mm DC Adapter for Goal Zero, a 5.5 by 2.5mm DC Adapter for Suaoki portable Generator as well as 3.5 by 1.35mm DC Adapter for the Paxcess portable Power Generator.
Additionally, it also works with 5V USB devices, which include smartphones and tablets, GPS, digital cameras and more.
The generator features a 3-USB Smart Charging Technology. This built-in smart IC chip is intuitive as it recognizes your device and allows it to charge at its maximum speed.
In addition, the chip helps protect your appliances by keeping them from overloading and overcharging. It also monitors and adjusts the USB port charging current depending on the level of sunlight.
The USB ports give an output of up to 2.4A, 5V DC on each port with an overall of 6A max of charging current. The solar panels have a high solar power conversion efficiency of up to 21.5-23.5% of into free energy.
This Paxcess charger measures 10.6 X 13.8 X 1.8 inches in dimensions and comes in a portable, unique foldable design. It weighs 5.1 pounds. This makes it very easy to carry it just about anywhere, great for camping and hiking.
The charger is made from a long-lasting Oxford fabric. Its solar panel is also water resistant and can resist all types of weather. However, the junction box should not be exposed to water as it is not waterproof and should be kept dry at all times.
The charger comes with a user manual and a 12-Month warranty since the date of purchase date and lifetime customer service.
To conclude, the Paxcess Foldable 50W Solar Panel Charger for Suaoki Portable Generator is a great source of power when camping or on other outdoor activities.
It is compact and extremely lightweight making it easily portable. You can use it to charge directly to your USB devices or battery on the go.
What are the benefits of a having solar panel for camping?
If you are considering using solar panels for camping, have a look at the benefits that will make you not go any other way.
- Solar power is a renewable, clean source of natural energy, meaning it is completely eco-friendly.
- They save you more money since the energy comes from the sun and eliminating fees from powered sites.
- Solar panels do not make noise so you can camp in peace and quiet while powering your appliances.
- The panels give you the freedom to camp anywhere without electricity access.
- They are user-friendly and a convenient power solution to power as they come in highly portable designs.
- Solar panels are highly robust and hard wearing, which means they will last a long time even with constant use.
Types of solar panels
Solar panels for camping come in three forms. Look at how they differ from each other.
These are the most expensive of the three types. However, they are more efficient owing to their high-grade silicon make.
They are also space efficient as they require the least amount of space, and lastly, they are long lasting compared to the other three kinds.
These types of solar panels are not as efficient as mono-crystalline as they tend to have a lower heat tolerance.
However, the process used to make them is much simpler and less expensive, ultimately making them cheaper.
This is the least efficient type of solar panels but least expensive.
These solar panels have the advantage of being highly flexible, opening up many potential applications especially when camping.
They also have the most appealing look owing to their homogenous appearance.
What can you power with solar while camping?
The common campers’ appliances powered with a solar setup include:
- Camping lights LED lights and flashlights.
- 12v compressor fridges. Note that these may take up more than half of your total power.
- Air compressors.
- Inverters responsible for charging your 12v devices such as laptops and small televisions.
- Solar showers.
- Solar backpacks.
Something to keep in mind, avoid powering heating appliances such as portable stoves or hair dryers from your power inverter. These are energy-intensive and may quickly run out your battery’s power.
Choosing the best solar panels for camping
In this section, we shall look at the essential factors to look out for when selecting the best solar panels for camping.
Weight and portability
If you plan to do some extreme sports or mainly travel by foot, then weight might be an issue and therefore should consider looking at rollable or folding solar panels.
However, if you are powering a base camp, then this may not be an issue and the rigidly framed module will do the job just fine. These kinds of kits will typically include a stand and carry bag for transportation.
Before purchasing a solar panel, you should check all the devices you intend to charge with it. However, wattage may vary depending on the type of solar panel you get.
While many brands will only offer a 4 or 5 watts solar panel, which will suffice for charging cell phones or mp3 players, most devices nowadays require more power to properly charge.
You will need to look for at least a 7 watts solar panel and even a higher wattage for larger electronic devices such as portable laptops. Remember to be keen on the wattage of the solar panel before buying.
Easy to setup and use
Outdoor activities will mean there no time to keep checking on your solar kits. One of the most convenient features that technology has provided in today’s solar kits auto-restart technology.
This technology will automatically switch your solar kit back on in case it ceases to function due to some sort of obscurity such as cloud cover.
A good solar kit should have an intuitive and overall user-friendly design, free excessive adapters and cord. However, all this will be dependent on your needs and personal preference.
Today, solar panel companies cater to the needs of technologically advancing gadgets such as smartphones and portable laptops.
They meet this kind of demand by integrating their solar panels with different kinds of USB ports that serve different gadgets. There are devices that do not use USB ports and for that, they utilize an inverter.
Additionally, there are convenient ways to use your solar panels. By using grommets, you can easily hang your solar kits on a tree, tent or on a backpack while walking. You can also Daisy chain several solar panels together for a maximum gathering of energy, which might come in handy in some situations.
Cables and connections
the solar charging kits normally have USB ports for charging, while others rely exclusively on USB ports. Now, there is the standard two-panel USB charging where one is equipped with a higher amp rating for laptops, while the other one comes with a lower one for charging mobile phones.
In addition, there are adapters and different types of ports available for charging other devices so you should be okay.
The battery, despite the size, is highly important and serves as storage for the solar energy gathered from the sun, either for immediate use or for later.
Note that for the power storage to maintain a constant level, the solar panel needs to gather enough energy into the battery same as the power amount going out of the battery, otherwise it will run out of the battery later on.
Complete solar charging kits have all kinds of accessories and connectors such as extension and alligator clips, adapters and many more.
You may want to consider what accessories you will need on your camping trip and if they are available for the panels you choose. However, if you chose to deviate from the already provided USB charging ports, you may need to consider how competent your wiring skills are. A lot of research will also come in handy at that.
No one wants to get flat batteries when out camping. Technology, however, saves the day with the portable solar panels that come in handy wherever we go as long as the sun shines. All you need is your initial purchase capital and hey, you are on your way to enjoying free energy as you marvel at nature.
As we have seen in the best solar panels for camping review above, you are spoilt for choice and the best one is wholly dependent on your needs as well as personal preference.
However, our best pick has to be the Anker 21W PowerPort Solar Charger. It is lightweight, extremely efficient and made of durable material that can withstand outdoor, rough use.
It is a product from a reliable and trusted brand, which comes in an amazing combination of specs, respectable output, and the price is very reasonable.
This solar charger will come in handy for people who do many outdoor activities such as camping and need to juice up their devices. As long as there is direct sunlight, it will continue to produce power for you.
The Anker 21W is a great product and great value for money.
Having looked at everything about solar panels for camping in this review, we hope that now you are in a better position to make an informed decision.
Give us your thoughts and or experience in the comment section.